7 steps to answer, “Why did you leave your last job?” in an INTERVIEW:
1. Don’t try to avoid the question.
2. Be truthful.
3. Don’t trash your former manager or employer. Be as diplomatic as you can.
4. Don’t appoint blame to others. Take ownership; be accountable.
5. Give minimal details, unless probed.
6. Project yourself in a way that assures the interviewer that it was an isolated case and no cause for concern.
7. Finish by explaining what you learned from the experience.
The same applies to anyone in a current role. You can never go wrong with the truth. Life happens. I know it, you know it, and recruiters and hiring managers know it too. If they choose not to hire you because of it, put it behind you, carry on searching and move on to the next interview.
What one interviewer considers to be a red flag, another won’t. You have amazing skills, qualifications and experience, so PERSEVERE! It’s only a matter of time and EFFORT until you find your new professional “home!”
Anything to add, please?