PHONE interviews are the hardest to ace.
Want to be PREPARED? Like this……
1. Get dressed as if going to an in-person Interview. Why? It creates professional attitude and mindset.
2. Don’t slouch on the couch. Chair and table/desk or stand and pace. Standing promotes voice projection.
3. Quiet room; no interruptions.
4. Make sure your phone is fully charged.
5. Wear earphones or pods to eliminate background noise.
6. Silence all other notifications on your phone and laptop (if open).
7. Laptop, pen and paper, and a copy of your Resume.
8. Have written prompts ready, especially for the questions that you wish to ask.
9. Have a glass of water next to you.
10. Answer the phone correctly. eg. “Good morning/afternoon. This is FULL NAME speaking.”
11. If it’s a phone panel interview, you need to attach voice to name very quickly. Write the names down and use them when you address each interviewer.
12. Thank the interviewer(s) for their time. Send a follow-up Thank you” email within 6-8 hours.
You only have your voice, so remember that a smile can not only be seen, it can be “heard” too!
To avoid unnecessary nerves…. PREP in advance!